Saturday, November 10, 2007

Studying on Saturday

I am a graduate student, getting my Master's in Accountancy. This means that I have an insane amount of reading to do, mostly journal articles about Accounting. How many of you get excited at the thought of reading even ONE academic paper about Accounting? I have to review 20, and have a fairly in-depth understanding of each one, before my closed-book, two-hour essay exam on Thursday (I am terrified of said exam). You would think that since Accounting is my chosen field of study, that it is also my passion, and therefore the thought of reading 20 articles about my field would thrill me beyond description. You wouldn't be more wrong in this thought. There are so many more things I would rather do with my Saturday than review as many of these articles as I can.

My loving husband has graciously taken our daughter to the nearest Target, 60 miles away in Spokane, so that I can have time to work on my reading without the distraction of a near-toddler pulling on my leg and begging with her eyes for me to pick her up. He is running a multitude of other errands in the "big city" today, as well. Spokane is not my favorite place to go, yet I would rather spend the day with my family in Spokane than sitting at home procrastinating...er, ah, STUDYING.

One BIG consolation is that it is a gray, cold, rainy day here in Eastern Washington. It's the kind of day that makes you want to stay inside, because if you step out even for a few minutes, you are chilled to the bone. I know this from personal experience, because our neighbor generously offered to take the 7 bags of leaves that we had the neighbor kids bag into plastic bags for us to the dump, since the city in its wisdom will only pick up leaves bagged in PAPER this year. I loaded the bags onto the borrowed pickup truck, and I was FREEZING by the time I finished!

It is the kind of day that is perfect for sipping hot cocoa with a good book - by the way I have two novels calling my name, one from the local library, and one that I bought just last week. I have put them aside until after the dreaded exam, though. No time for leisure reading when those articles are beckoning with their talons... I can just hear their dreaded call... "If you don't read us, your exam will devour you! You will flunk out of graduate school and be stuck in dead-end jobs for the rest of your life! Bwah-hah-hah-ha!!!"

So, now that I've checked email, printed out the list of articles I need to review, and blogged, I don't suppose I can procrastinate any more. I am off to do my Saturday studying. Thanks for reading... take my poll at the bottom of the page so I know you visited!

Hoping that you enjoy your Saturday more than I will,

~ Kate :)

No comments: